Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:50 am

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:17 pm 

At first glance these appear to be gold plated pins. I cut one open, brass... Makes for a hard distinction between gold and brass. I'd hate to push 2000 pins through for brass. Any ideas how to confirm they're gold plated? What I mean is, is there a way to maybe speed up a tarnishing of the brass? My brother once opened this crap in my dad's garage and it started to rust tools even on the other side of the garage. Is there an easy chemical that I would likely have at home to qucik tarnish brass and show the gold vs brass?

I just gotta know, because, what if? I mean what if they're actually solid gold pins? I know I know not a chance. But they really made it difficult with this brass gold combo. Do they not think about the consumers further down the chain from those end users? Lmao but to be serious,

What are these pins? Anyone seen them before? Are they just an Iowa thing? Lol

Attachments:
IMG_20200111_170240.jpg
IMG_20200111_170240.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 1595 times ]
IMG_20200111_170252.jpg
IMG_20200111_170252.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 1595 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 pm 

These are definitely gold plated. They are found in Telephone central switching offices where cross connects are made using jumper wires. Most switching offices do not skimp on quality of connectors used. I deal with these on a daily basis, not as far as scrap value, but in everyday use for making cross connects to get phone and internet services out to our customers.

Most of the time these connectors are built for repeated connection and disconnections. They are generally gold plated in thicknesses of 30 to 50 microns. The base metal that the gold is plated on is usually Brass, and sometimes Copper or Kovar. If you do not recover or refine yourself, these could be sold for a reasonable price. You might contact the Folks here at Boardsort about their value or price offering.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Let’s do away with the iffy testing methods since a better reply was made before I hit post.