Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 pm

Post subject: Boards for grading #12
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:49 pm 

What are these very old motherboards graded as, can they get low telecom? What chip is the CPU in the smaller of the two?What is the substance on the back of these 2 heat sinks, it is very easy to scratch with my finger nail? All batteries will be removed. What chips can be removed if it is not telecom? The CPU on both boards will be removed for my growing CPU collection.

Thank you!

Attachments:
20200106_173438.jpg
20200106_173438.jpg [ 2.43 MiB | Viewed 1824 times ]
20200106_173357.jpg
20200106_173357.jpg [ 2.46 MiB | Viewed 1824 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:02 am 
Site Admin

Top board is definitely low telco.

Smaller board is small socket motherboard. The cpu is the 286 AMD (top right).
Unfortunately this second board is very entry level. If the Leeds (pins) on the AMD are gold you’ll get pentium/Mac ceramic for it. If not you’ll get pinless. It also looks like all the expansion slots are nickel tin. Further keeping it from anything higher. You can pop the ICs out of their sockets.

Gouge the heat sink centre with a large screwdriver. It’s quite possible it’s copper.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:10 am 

Thank you Lost!

The top board has an 8088 CPU on it. It is the large long plastic chip, second one down from top left (or lower left, depending on your view), though it can't be read in the photo. Wouldn't that make the board large socket?

The heat sink is Aluminum. We were wondering about the heat sink 'compound'. It seems to be something like a thick paper saturated with graphite. It is not a paste. We were wondering if anybody knows what this material actually is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

It’s missing much of the motherboard class requirements. The ram, rom, and most controllers are all soldered; which eliminates the gold sockets.
The 80xx is a 3rd party. Which takes out the know material factor.
No expansion sockets. A riser port but it doesn’t look gold. Most likely used as a drive connector. Looks like a low profile desk unit. Such as the ones with a keyboard built in. Or a primary on a rack kit. Where the riser socket would connect to a separate controller card box via an external I/o port.
There’s a half dozen controllers so this had some expansion potential but I cannot see the how of it in this board.
You stumbled into my specialty m. 8-, 10-, and 16-bit units.

There’s a possibility for an upgrade once they get it at the dock but from where I stand, I’m supposed to be conservative on my grading.
Better to have you get an upgrade and be happy with Chris than a downgrade and be angry with me. :D

Now I understand what your asking. For this era graphite was popular. As was carbon (we learn from our mistakes). Most will have a silver base with one of the two.
Others used tin with one of the former two materials.
Two popular methods were a thin film placed on the unit and heated before connection, and spray. Both cause a thin layer that become brittle over time. And both overhang the contact point a bit. Shouldn’t be hazardous (usually) but I wouldn’t eat it.
Nothing special or outlandish. There’s value, just very little.
When replacing these I use an aerosol graphite lubricant for my own equipment and Pads for repairs.