Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

Post subject: Grade Help Needed #3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:38 pm 

We have been scrapping for over a year but we still struggle with grading. We have recently started scrapping over 150 telephone systems, and here are the most common boards. Could you please help us with grading these? Really appreciate your help.

Attachments:
File comment: Board 16
Board 16-front.jpg
Board 16-front.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 2761 times ]
File comment: Board 15
Board 15-front.jpg
Board 15-front.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 2761 times ]
File comment: Board 14
Board 14-front.jpg
Board 14-front.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 2761 times ]
File comment: Board 13
Board 13-front.jpg
Board 13-front.jpg [ 1015.66 KiB | Viewed 2761 times ]
File comment: Board 12
Board 12-front.jpg
Board 12-front.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 2761 times ]
File comment: Board 11
Board 11-front.jpg
Board 11-front.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 2761 times ]

Post subject: Re: Grade Help Needed #3
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

12 and 13 will squeeze into peripheral. The rest are the high end of of midgrade.
That said with the volume of what you will have I’d email Chris directly once you finish. And have weight volumes. He may be able to quote you differently.
When you have 50...or 150; there’s occasionally room to move and a few of these others could qualify.
11 and 14 would be very close to some sort of jump.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:39 pm 

Thank you so much for your quick responses!

I do have a question though. You said Board 15 falls into the "the high end of of midgrade" which pays out @ $.20/lb...but there is a photo of what looks like that exact same board under the Pay Out Rates chart when you mouse over the Low Grade Telecom which pays out @ $2.50/lb. So I am a little confused by that. Could you clarify the difference? All the photos I posted are actually telecom boards pulled from phone systems.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

You are absolutely correct with your observations n the photos. I’m not sure if that’s a mistake on boardsort’s part or if I’m missing something.
I’ll look into that and talk to Chris to see if I’m totally wrong (again) about something I’m not seeing.
I’ll post back when I get a reply.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:07 am 
Site Admin

Telecom is one of the most difficult grades to work with because of the wide variety and different qualifiers/disqualifiers.

A golden rule of thumb is that High Telecom cannot have transformers. But there are times a board still has qualities that grade it above midgrade and even above Peripheral. A lot of your older phone systems (pbx style) have boards that look really bad but actually have some value. We have always struggled with them because of the challenge of creating a rule to judge them by.

So we created a low grade telecom grade. This is for boards that we know came from actual telecommunications systems, and they have chips, pins, wide or long gold connectors, likely tantalum but they also have transformers and capacitors and junk. It is a grade that is always subject to interpretation.
We do a lot of downgrading out of the low grade telecom.

Folks mistakenly consider Peripheral (even midgrade) as Low Grade Tele quite often, which is fine...it is hard enough for us to judge it sometimes. But pretty much if it came from an actual telecommunications system (phone room) and it has some of  the qualities mentioned above, it "could" be low tele, if not high tele of course.

But for the record, those particular boards are all Low Tele based on what they are and where they came from.

This grade is always subject to change.

Thanks everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:53 pm 

Thank you both for your replies. It's good to know we aren't the only ones who have a difficult time deciphering this stuff!