Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm 

Attachment:
board1.jpg
board1.jpg [ 214.68 KiB | Viewed 2819 times ]
This seems to be the week for non-standard boards, or at least those outside general class rules. Up for consideration is this vintage board with very little that Boardsort drools over, but under those metal covers lurk an interesting white ceramic work of art. Based on its non standard features, I don't think Boardsort will want it, or if so, only at midgrade, so it appears to be destined for the art market. (photo to post later) (Photo resized to file explorer, now says write protected and will not load) Windows photo also only "opens" to completely black screen, but media power player, paint, etc open ok. All photo files do so)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:00 pm 

Attachment:
boardchip22.jpg
boardchip22.jpg [ 60.23 KiB | Viewed 2819 times ]
Here is a blurry view of the surprise under the metal cover. There are a total of 20 of these on the board.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

This isn’t necessarily old. That’s a designers breadboard.
The metal squares are called p-e-cells.
There’s a lot of copper weight in these as well.
As it stands I’d say telco based on the photo.
BUT
That is totally open to the interpretation of the intake employee. This is another style that will ALWAYS need further in person review.
It will be at least peripheral. But I’m going with that you should quote it as telco.
What it ultimately ends up being depends on the quality of the cells and what metal the through holes have in them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:14 pm 

Thanks for the explanation, Lostinlosdos. I enjoy learning a bit more about the boards other than the dollar value and as always, your explanations are concise, informative and readable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Well; based on the size and the serial number my guess is a Nordic 20k series.
If so the fingers are nickel, the through holes are tin/silver alloy, the ports are probably nickel, and the centre layer in 20,000 series boards is copper.
If you ever visit a Fry’s, Computer World, or Microcenter you’ll find a whole aisle or two dedicated to “breadboard design”.

Sadly, some small, and even large, server companies, a three letter acronym comes to mind, think it’s acceptable to send this stuff in semi-custom design orders.
Frontier and Ice Manufacturing (both the same company) both use small variants to make their hard drive to USB adapters. They’re the nifty looking over priced, wooden desktop horizontal docks that cost $149.99 on Amazon till amazon pulled them. This stuff takes a fair amount of knowledge and care to keep them working. Then again previously mentioned giant sells on site service plans so...—>$$$

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:56 pm 

telecom